Friend of the Guild

Main Character:
Jhereg (talents)
DKP
Dreanei Hunter
Engineering & Mining

Before I go batshit crazy...Fix my Connection

I need some tech advice.

So, I've been having intermittent connection speed drops. From like 5 mb/s (where I should be) to a consistent 550-950 kb/s. And then it picks back up. And back down. Etc. I occasionally get no connection at all for a few minutes. The software that came with the adapter is sometimes telling me I have no connection to the internet, yet can find the router and sometimes telling me it can't find the router at all.

This did not occur when I had a wired connection to my router, so I can only assume it is symptomatic of some combination of my wireless router and adapter. Yet, they seemed to work decently when first installed, this is a relatively recent development. Or is it something completely different I haven't thought of?

I've talked to my ISP, they passed the buck to the adapter people(Linksys), who passed it to the router people (Netgear) who tried a few things tonight that didn't work.

Basically, is it typical wireless router behavior to have these massive sporadic drops in transfer speed due to poor quality and distance? The only thing that bothers me about this prognosis is the lack of noticeable physical changes at 1:30 AM in the goddamn morning that would initiate the drop.

For ref: I'm using the wireless from the other side of the house, it passes through 3 walls and about 100 feet, maybe?
Jhereg is offline   Reply With Quote